The Prophet has been exemplified by Allah as our model to follow. He was the epitome of good manners and a myriad of ahadith encourage good manners and gentility. The advent of Islam alone brought some semblance of order to an otherwise chaotic and Jahiliyyah-steeped Arabia.
Narrated Masruq: Abdullah ibn ‘Amr mentioned Allah’s Prophet (SAW) saying he was neither a Fahish nor a Mutafahish. Abdullah ibn ‘Amr added, Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, ‘The best among you are those who have the best manners and character.’ Sahih Bukhari 6029
It was narrated by Abu Hurairah said: the Prophet was asked, ‘What admits people the most into paradise?’ and he said, ‘Piety and good manners.’ And he was asked, ‘What lead people most to Hell?’ He said, ‘The two hollow ones: the mouth and the private part.’ Sunan Ibn Majah Vol.1,Book 37, Hadith 4246
Jabir(RA) reported: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, ‘The dearest and nearest among you to me on the Day of Resurrection will be the one who is the best of you in manners; and the farthest of you from me will be the pompous, the garrulous and the Al-Mutafaihiqun…-the arrogant people.’[Tirmidhi] Riyad-us-Saliheen Book 1 Hadith 631
Some good manners include:
• saying salaam first and responding to greeting;
• offering your seat to those in need;
• exchanging pleasantries;
• listening not interrupting;
• joining the queue;
• showing courtesy by saying ‘thank you’, ‘please’, ‘I am sorry’, ‘excuse me’;
• being considerate;
• being gentle in speech and walk;
• treating people with respect;
• being neat and kempt;
• giving up your seat (when you can);
• complimenting people (without being patronising);
• following the rules (like Traffic rules, table manners, switching off your phone at a lecture or sermon, refraining from taking photographs in no-image zones, flushing the toilet after use etc );
• acting with decorum;
• introducing people to each other;
• not speaking in a language foreign to, or whispering and excluding, the third person from a conversation and so on.
I know we know all these. This is just to serve as a reminder to both you and me.
Do you have any more to add? Please drop a comment.
May Allah help us to improve ourselves and grace us with beautiful manners.